Crime is always on the minds of small business owners. Even if you have insurance, the cost of lost inventory and general business interruptions can cause a lot of stress and frustration.
It’s essential for all retailers to take a proactive approach to security in order to keep their livelihoods safer.
Since retailers are a core part of the Quickly Locksmith customer base, we decided to put together some security tips for local retailers to put your mind at ease as we head into a new year.
Common Retail Security Risks
Before we get into how you can keep your local store safer, let’s look at some of the most common risks to be aware of.
- Physical Theft. Shoplifters have been a retail headache for quite some time and it’s resulting in billions of dollars in lost revenue across the country.
- Data Breaches. If you handle customer data, data breaches and digital theft are a potential concern too. Online shopping fraud is on the rise, so if you have an eCommerce store, you need to be prepared.
- Inventory Damage. Monitoring who enters your store is one thing – you also need to keep an eye on employees to protect yourself and your business in the event of inventory loss or damage.
- Customer Injuries. Lastly, there are customer injuries. When you can’t monitor what is happening in your store, you are putting yourself and your business at risk. While customer injuries do legitimately happen, other customers look for a quick way to make some money by faking injury.
6 Security Tips for Local Retailers to Implement in 2021
Here are the tips we would like to offer anyone who has a retail store in Miami:
1. Train Your Employees
If you haven’t done so in a while (or ever), spend time training your employees on how to spot potential criminal activity in or outside the store. You should also discuss what should be done in the event of theft or a robbery, ensuring everyone is on the same page.
2. Invest in Visual Deterrents
The best way to stop criminals from taking a chance is to show them you are prepared. Attaching signs to the outside of your premises is just the start. 24-Hour video surveillance is the ultimate preventative measure for retail store owners. What’s more, if criminals do target your store, you have footage to assist you with any police reports or insurance claims.
3. Schedule a Security Audit
When was the last time you evaluated your security measures? Scheduling a security audit with Quickly Locksmith is the best way to identify any weak spots that could leave you vulnerable to criminals. We will evaluate both the inside and outside of your premises and provide you with a detailed list of necessary and nice-to-have suggestions. This includes everything from security gates and locks to camera and alarm systems.
4. Improve Visibility in Your Store
If you have a fairly large store, reduce the risk of blind spots with the help of video cameras and wide-angle mirrors. If you have any windows that obscure your line of sight, find ways to correct those blind spots too.
5. Install a Safe
Keep a lot of cash or valuables on the premises? You cannot be without a safe. There is such a wide variety of safes available today, so there is no excuse not to have one. We can help you find the ideal safe based on your budget and retail requirements. If you already have a safe, make sure it is installed by a qualified professional.
6. Change Up Your Routine
Lastly, to avoid becoming a target, change up the time and route you take to deposit money at the bank. Criminals will not hesitate to monitor your comings and goings for several days to ensure they know exactly when they can take money off your hands.
If you think it’s time you upgraded and improved your retail security measures, contact Quickly Locksmith for a quotation or to arrange a security audit at your premises.