When you first start shopping around for safes, you quickly realize how many choices you have. However, not all safes are created equal. So, how do you even begin to narrow down your options?
Most homeowners tend to focus on size first, but this is not the only consideration.
What to Consider Before Buying a Safe for Your Miami Home
Here is everything you should consider before you make a final decision on a safe.
- The Items You Want to Store
This is one of the most important considerations when shopping around for a safe. Do you want to store irreplaceable jewelry? Perhaps you have paperwork you simply cannot lose, such as birth records, passports, or insurance policies? Do you have a firearm you need to keep in a safe place? Knowing what you want to store is the first step in this process.
- Space Requirements and Availability.
Next, consider how much space you have available for a safe and how much secure storage space you require. It never hurts to buy a slightly bigger safe than what you currently need as it’s always good to know you have room to add more items. You should also look at the best place to install your safe as this will affect sizing requirements too.
- Type of Protection.
Not all safes provide the same level or type of protection. For example, a safe that’s designed to protect documents from fires won’t necessarily keep out intruders. The good news is that there are safes that offer more comprehensive protection, composite safes being one option.
- Lock Type.
Safes either have a dial or a digital lock, each of which has its own drawbacks and advantages. You should decide which type of lock would best suit your needs before making a purchase. Dial locks are more reliable because they aren’t affected by power outages. However, changing the combination requires the assistance of a professional. Digital locks require a pin and are quicker and easier to open. However, they do require more maintenance in the form of battery replacement.
- Safe Accreditation.
Reputable safe brands will always include an accreditation rating on the exterior of their safes. These ratings indicate what standards a safe has been tested against. Some of the ratings include fire resistance and burglary and construction quality.
- Your Budget.
Lastly, it’s important to consider how much you want to spend on a safe. Prices can vary wildly, so it helps to have a budget in mind before you go ahead. Expect to pay more for any safes that have advanced, non-standard features. In terms of how much you can expect to pay for a safe, prices range anywhere from $200 to $10,000.
What Type of Safe Should You Choose for Your Miami Home?
Here are some of the most common safe options available for your home:
- Wall Safes. While they are a sleek option, keep in mind that they can’t support as much weight as other safes. These safes are best for paperwork and lighter items.
- Floor Safes. These safes are generally heavier and bulkier but offer more flexibility in terms of what you can store. From hard drives and photographers to precious metals, floor safes can store it all.
- Freestanding Safes. These safes are not only portable but vary in size. In fact, some freestanding safes can weigh up to 2 tons. Freestanding safes can be bolted to the wall or floor or left as is. However, this is never recommended.
- Weapon Safes. As the name suggests, these safes are specifically designed to safely store weapons. The locks and metals are different, ensuring minimal risk of intrusion and accidents.
Keep in mind that these types of safes can all have different features, which is why you need to know exactly what you are looking for. There is also no rule that says you should only own one type of safe.
If you need assistance finding a safe for your home or the help of an installation professional, contact Quickly Locksmith on (305) 984-9922.